REGULAR OFFICE HOURS RESUME AUGUST 8: 7.30-4PM
- August 9-12: Teacher training days
- August 10: New Parent Orientation @ 6pm
- August 15: Orientation Day for Preschool-8th (No Daycare)
- 8-9AM: Pre-School, Pre-Kindergarten, & Kindergarten
- 9-10AM: Grades 1-5
- 10-11AM: School Information Systems (Teacherease/Haiku) Information Session for 1-8th (Optional, but highly recommended for new families).
- 11-12PM: Grades 6-8
- August 16: First day of School for PS-8th (8am-3pm). Daycare begins.
- August 18: Meet your Mac info session @ 6pm
- August 25: Back to School Night @ 6pm
$20K GRANT RECEIVED
We are pleased to announce that Valley Prep has received a $20,000 grant from the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians to be used towards the establishment of our new STEAM lab in room 18. We greatly appreciate their support of our Mission & Vision, and we look forward to further collaboration in the coming years.
SUMMER PROJECTS UPDATE
- Renovations to room 18, our new STEAM lab, have concluded (approx. cost $13,000)
- New furniture for the STEAM lab has arrived (approx. cost $10,000)
- Twenty new iMac computers have arrived (annual lease of $9,500 for 4yrs)
- New STEAM “activity kits” have arrived (approx. cost $5,000)
- New connecting-door installed between the two PK classrooms to facilitate new team-teaching approach ($5,000)
- Miscellaneous landscaping ($2,000)
- Sewer line (beneath the basketball courts) “scoped” to remove obstructions ($1,200)
- New asphalt laid on the basketball courts (approx. cost $35,000)
- Miscellaneous plumbing repairs and upgrades ($2,000)
- AC/Heat duct cleaning ($1,200)
- Revitalization of the VPS-sign on the embankment, near carpool. Thank you 8th Grade Class of 2016
“BRICK” FUNDRAISER FROM THE DINNER-DANCE
With the new asphalt now completed, we will place the order for the “engraved bricks” in mid-August. We expect installation by early September. The bricks will be laid on-top of the existing wall adjacent to the new asphalt, along the embankment.
Solar power is currently under consideration for the school. We have received three proposals from solar companies, each offering a Purchase-Power-Agreement which allows non-profits to install a solar array at “$0-down, $0-out-of-pocket,” with 25-year savings potentially exceeding $200,000. Most importantly, solar power reduces the school’s carbon-footprint and reinforces the principles of the IB-PYP which have strong environmental components.
NEW DRAMA CLUB
Drama Club meets weekly on Monday afternoons and is open to 4-8th graders. It is designed to support the holistic, inquiry-based approach of the International Baccalaureate and to provide our students with the incredible benefits of theater. Students engage in drama games, improvisation, readers’ theater, and a staged performance of scenes from a classic play. Students will be introduced to famous playwrights, such as Charles Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, William Shakespeare, Agatha Christie, Oscar Wilde, or Arthur Miller. Drama Club is run by Mateal Ishihara (MIshihara@VPRedlands.org), who possesses a Master of Fine Arts and has worked as the middle school English, history, and drama teacher at the renowned Bay Area performing arts school, Pacific Boychoir Academy. Space is limited. Sign up here (link will be active mid-August).
NEW TUTORING AND ENRICHMENT CLASSES
VPS’s after-school tutoring and enrichment program runs Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 3:15-5:45. Families of 2nd-8th graders are invited to sign up for 30- or 60-minute sessions of tutoring in the areas of reading, academic writing, creative writing, history, Spanish, French, test-taking, study skills, binder organization, general organizational skills, and preparation for high school entrance applications and essays. Small group sessions and custom enrichment classes are also available. Click here for sign-ups and fee information. Contact the instructor, Mateal Ishihara, with any additional questions at MIshihara@VPRedlands.org or 719-323-9072.
ON-GOING AFTERSCHOOL ENRICHMENT
Robotics, Drone Club, 8th Notes, Lions Chorus, Chess Club, Sport Ball and Strings will continue to be offered during the 2016-17 year. Information will be available at Orientation for all of our afterschool programs.
SUMMER READING & SUPPLY LISTS
Summer Reading lists for 1-8th grade are available on our website (Parent section).
TRUE GRITS SCHOOL UNIFORMS
School Uniforms can be purchased thru True Grits of Riverside (951-343-0411). Uniform requirements are available on our website.
FOR PRE-KINDERGARTEN: TEAM TEACHING
As previously announced, we will be implementing a team-teaching approach in our Pre-kindergarten program this year. All of our PK students will have BOTH Mrs. Bean and Miss Zepeda as their teacher. Miss Zepeda will be teaching Math and Science, and Mrs. Bean will be teaching Language Arts and Social Studies. This approach is designed to enhance student and teacher-collaboration. We are also pleased to announce the hiring of a new PK Assistant Teacher, Mrs. Doris O, who has five years of education experience. With the hiring of Mrs. Or, we now have three Assistant Teachers. Last year we had two. This increase will serve to enhance student supervision and provide additional academic support for the children.
FOR KINDERGARTEN: TWO SECTIONS
While consideration had been given to the implementation of a team-teaching approach in Kindergarten, we have decided to first establish this approach in Pre-Kindergarten during the 2016-17 school year. Accordingly, we will have two sections of Kindergarten this year taught by Miss Arakawa and Mrs. Romo. Mrs. Romo joins our staff following nearly ten years as an IB-PYP teacher at Island Pacific Academy in Hawaii. We will have one Kindergarten Assistant Teacher, Mrs. Hansen, who will be assisting both teachers.
FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL: INTERNATIONAL TRIP TO COSTA RICA
In an effort to (1) reinforce the philosophy of the IB-PYP, and (2) improve the school’s facilitation of international trips, we have developed a three-year plan with trips to Costa Rica, Quebec, and the Galapagos Islands. The 3-year rotation will begin in the Summer of 2017 with a trip to Costa Rica. Additional information will be sent to Middle School families in late August.
IB-PYP & STEAM @ VPS
Valley Preparatory School will gradually implement the International Baccalaureate – Primary Years Program (IB-PYP), a holistic, inquiry-based, cross-curricular approach to teaching & learning that promotes cultural sensitivity and international-mindedness. The program uses six transdisciplinary themes to organize traditional curricular content. At Valley Prep, two of these themes will be STEAM-related.
TEN REASONS WHY THE IB-PYP IS WELL-ALIGNED WITH VALLEY PREP’S MISSION & VISION
- Fosters natural curiosity and learning in creative, supportive, and collaborative environments.
- Encourages students to use critical and creative thinking to develop knowledge, understanding, and skills within and across subject areas.
- Encourages students to create meaning for themselves and build understanding through exploring real-world issues.
- Provides opportunities for students to communicate in a variety of ways and in more than one language.
- Provides opportunities for students to work collaboratively with teachers and other students to plan, present, and assess their own learning.
- Encourages students to be respectful and open-minded of other cultures and points of view.
- Provides opportunities for students to express ideas and opinions, and to propose solutions that make a difference in their lives and the lives of others.
- Encourages students to make appropriate choices and take responsibility for their actions.
- Provides students with the necessary tools to use their agility and imagination to respond to new and unexpected challenges.
- Reinforces a “whole school” learning community by celebrating the fact that education can help to build a better and more peaceful world.
Valley Preparatory School is a candidate school for the Primary Years Program, pursuing authorization as an IB World School. IB schools world-wide share a common philosophy—a commitment to high quality, challenging, international education. Valley Preparatory School will apply for authorization as an IB World School within three years.